Sustainability by Design
Sustainability By Design
For a roofing system to be considered sustainable, it must meet each of the following criteria:
- Energy As energy costs continue to increase, selecting a roof with the ability to reduce energy consumption and improve the efficiency of a building in any climate is crucial.
- Environment The environmental impact to the Earth from a high-performance roof is minimized throughout the lifetime of the roof. High-performance roofing systems help maintain healthy, productive environments both inside and outside the building.
- Endurance A high-performance roofing system (like the single-ply PVC installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing) will meet or exceed performance requirements for longevity. These include chemical, fire, and puncture resistance, easy maintenance and repair, and all-weather reliability.
- Economics Selecting a high-performance roof should make economic sense - not just when purchased, but over the lifetime of the roof. A true economic analysis should include life-cycle costs, not just the purchase and installation price.
- Engineering A complete, integrated roofing system requires the right materials, design, and manufacturing process for optimal results. This is the key enabler of the above points. The result is a durable, energy-efficient roofing system with "nearly invisible" installation and long-term reliability.
From a building standpoint, a sustainable roof meets demanding, long-term environmental standards. These standards include design, manufacturing, life-cycle impact, adaptive re-use, destruction, and recycling of roof components.
Energy - Efficiency Through Reflectivity**
- Building-wide energy consumption may be cut by up to 40%.
- Performance of insulation may be improved, reducing both winter heat loss and summer heat gain.
- Roof-top air conditioning efficiency may be improved.
- HVAC capacity requirements may be reduced.
A singly-ply PVC membrane installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing meets the following "cool roofing" standards for reflectivity and emissivity:
- Energy Star ® Roof Product Program
- Cool Roof Rating Council
- Title 24 of California's Energy Efficiency Standards for Nonresidential buildings.
Energy savings from this roofing system can begin immediately Unlike the "garden" roofing system, there is no wait time for plant growth, no weight concerns, no on-going maintenance. Unlike reflective coatings, this system will not peel, crack, or wear away. The installation is a fast, easy, and cost-effective route to lasting energy efficiency.
Environment - Indoor and Outdoor Improvements.
A single-ply PVC membrane installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing can contribute to better indoor air quality and the overall comfort of building occupants. The roofing system optimizes the performance on insulation and ventilation, helping keep the building dry and providing cleaner air through the relief of positive air pressure. Environmental impact is also minimized in the following ways:
- Closed-loop manufacturing processes recycle production scrap and reduces waste.
- Less fuel is required for transport due to the lightweight of the material.
- The effects of Urban Heat Islands are decreased through the high reflectivity, high emissivity of the roofing system.
- This system usually can be installed over an existing roof, reducing landfill space, waste, and disposal costs. A recycling program is also offered.
- This PVC system can be recycled into other products.
Endurance - A Proven Record
Over a billion square feet of single-ply PVC membrane is in use throughout North America since the late 1970s - many older roofs are still in service. This track record demonstrates the durability. Each roof is designed to be:
- Water, fire, chemical, grease, and puncture resistant.
- Stand up to all types of weather - especially temperature extremes- over the long term.
- Virtually maintenance-free - this system does not require regular patching and repairs.
- Made with high-density weft-insertion scrim for reinforcement, providing exceptional strength and durability.
A single-ply PVC membrane installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing will perform well over the years. It will also help extend the useful life of other roofing components, protecting insulation and roofing substrate from moisture and deterioration. The roofing system comes with a 15 year no dollar limit warranty. The warranty is transferable, includes coverage for consequential damages, and does not contain an exclusion for ponding water.
Economics: Saving Money Long-Term
True, other roofing systems do have lower initial costs. However, it is also true that roofing system cost is measured over the total life-cycle of the roof. This includes considerations for longevity maintenance costs, repair costs, energy savings, tear-off fees, and disposal costs. This is where a single-ply PVC membrane roofing system installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing becomes a cost-effective solution.
- Custom factory prefabrication reduces installation costs.
- Low maintenance and repair costs.
- The standard warranty provides protection from interior damage costs through leak-proof performance.
- Reduced energy consumption and related rebates or incentives where available add additional savings.
Expert Engineering: Long-Lasting Cost-Effective Performance
Single-ply PVC roofing systems installed by LaFerney Commercial Roofing are designed to be fully integrated. Prefabricated to the exact measurements of each individual building, 85% of the membrane is seamed under ideal, controlled, factory conditions. (Please see the image below. The lines represent the seams.)All flashings are also prefabricated under controlled conditions and heat-welded by a member of LaFerney Commercial Roofing's Elite Contractor team. The precision fabrication allows for an installation that is faster, quieter, and less disruptive than typical roofing system installations. Noxious fumes and flames are non-existent, allowing building occupants to continue with normal activities. This exceptional performance and design frequently eliminates the need for a tear-off of the old roof. This provides cost-savings in the form of labor, and protects the environment by reducing landfill content.
Want to learn more? Contact LaFerney Commercial Roofing to see how a single-ply PVC membrane can meet your sustainability needs.
Corporate: 800-633-3119 • Kingsport, TN: 423-349-4141 • Knoxville, TN: 865-201-8678
*data and images courtesy of Duro-Last Roofing, Inc. **performance may vary due to climate, building system design, and other local factors.